Wednesday, May 6, 2009

What is Healing Touch?

Healing Touch is a modern reinvention of the “laying on of hands” that Jesus speaks of. It is based on the belief that we are not only dense physical bodies, but have layers of electro magnetic energy flowing next to the body, up to several inches away from the body. Healing Touch is a healing modality designed to work in this energy field, clearing blockages and bringing relief from suffering.

Kirlian photography is a specialized type of photography that can take pictures of this electromagnetic field. In the photo below you can see the diffuse light blue energy rays surrounding the fingers. This is what energy healers feel and work with when they do their work.

It was in 1995 when I first experienced Healing Touch for myself. At that time, I was a fully committed physician assistant, working in modern medicine (see blog" The Path of the Healer.) I was also deeply resistant to any healing modality that had not been run through a prospective, randomized, double-blinded research study.

However. I also had severe inflammatory arthritis and after three years of trying a range of toxic and ineffective prescriptions, I had reluctantly come to the conclusion that I was going to have to look in some other directions. I had heard for years about some wacko healing modality called Therapeutic touch; I happened to run across a brochure about a nurse named Elly LeDuc who was blending Therapeutic Touch and a newer modality called Healing Touch in her private practice. I was truly skeptical. I was also deeply, profoundly suffering. So I made an appointment.

The day I walked in to see Elly was a particularly bad day. The arthritis had caused severe damage to my left knee, and that day, I could barely walk, even with the assistance of the cane. My pain level was also very high that day, perhaps an 8 on the scale of 10. I limped in, gave a brief history of my problem, and with difficulty got on the massage table.

I don’t remember much of the next hour. Elly quietly went to work and did some stuff waving her hands over me. I conked out into a deep, profoundly restful and relaxing drooler of a nap. When I came to some 50 minutes later, I noticed immediately how much more calm I felt.

I cautiously got off the massage table. My pain was now down to a 2. I found I was able to walk normally, with minimal pain. I did not need the cane. These effects lasted for 5 days. Every time I went back to Elly, I got similar relief.

It was a revelation. Suddenly I knew, with a deep sense of inner knowing, that there are modes of healing that were never, ever covered in my medical training. My eyes/mind began to open, as if from a drugged sleep. I had experienced a miracle of healing, a gift from Spirit. I was never again the same kind of healer; and today, Healing Touch is one of my own favorite healing tools.

Janet

Resources:
• Kirlian photography from Fullspectrum.org.uk
• Healing Touch International

No comments:

Post a Comment